'); -->

Search This Blog

Tuesday, June 10, 2014

My experiece with sexual assualt.

There has been lots of web traffic lately on "rape" culture.  Just to be clear, I absolutely believe it exists. My own experience with it occurred many moons ago when I was 13/14 years old.  I was visiting my sister and her then husband for a few days in the summer.  They had a friend who offered to lead me around on a horse. I accepted and once the ride was over, he proceeded to back me into a corner of the barn and basically groped my breasts.  I pushed him off and he backed down. Other than the fact that he could have done far worse, my belief that I had done something wrong to encourage his behavior kept me from saying anything. When I finally told my sister, years later, she believed me but was also angry that I hadn't said anything at the time. I think there is still a societal pressure that keeps women/girls from reporting this shit because their actions will be construed as asking for it.

No comments: